May 8, 2012 News
Good news for Android app developers. Google has reported that Google Play has had more then 15 billion games and app downloaded after two and a half years of its launch.
Google’s spokesperson reported to TechCrunch that it had hit the milestone a few weeks back though no public announcement was made for this. The last report of downloads which was made public was when Google Play was the Android Market, which was 5 months back.
So in that span of 5 months, downloads have jumped from 10 billion to 15 billion which is quite an exponential jump. Though Google Play has quite a lot of catching up to do compared to the Apple’s App Store, the fast-growing rate could certainly prove to be competition to the App Store especially with over 250 million Android device activations since last January.
- Android Apps 3 Billion installed, Google report
- Android Market hits 10 billion downloads, Thanks to Developers and Users
- Mobile applications a $15 billion industry in 2013
- Google releases Gift cards service for Google Play Store
- Google Android OS increases in device activation and App downloads